Tata Consultancy Services Interview Experience - Kolkata, 2nd march 2016
I was super excited about sharing my interview experience over here :P I used to read the experiences of candidates and used to feel when I would get a chance to share my experience over here. By god's grace, I got placed in India's largest IT company TCS, and today time has come when I am going to share my experience. I hope it helps you all a lot as I also got massive help reading other experiences of successful candidates.
A detailed experience is as follows:
On 2nd march 2016, we had our aptitude exam. The most crucial points about clearing this step are,
1] In the 1st 10 minutes, you will have to write an email. THIS IS THE ELIMINATION AND MOST IMPORTANT PART of this exam !
Tips to qualify through the email writing:
1) If names are mentioned to whom or by whom this email is to be written, be sure to use that exact name. It's mandatory to use those names, and not your name or any other's. It might sound foolish, but many of my friends did this mistake and were rejected.
2) Make sure to keep your email between 50 to 70 words maximum!! reason behind this I will tell you in succeeding points.
3) The pre-mentioned words which are given, BE SURE TO USE THOSE EXACT WORDS WITHOUT CHANGING THEIR FORM IN WHATEVER TENSE IT IS GIVEN,
" DO NOT CHANGE THE TENSE OF THOSE WORDS AND DO NOT MAKE ANY SPELLING MISTAKE IN THAT WORDS".
4) Use all the words that are mentioned. Don't leave any words unused in your email which is pre-mentioned.
Start the email by "Dear ______"
End with "Thanks and regards __________"
6) Now why did I tell you to complete within 70 words, it is because,
- It will save your time, and will help you to give a revision of your mail to check whether you made any spelling mistakes of those words or left out some words.
- It will save you from unnecessary burden thinking about how much time is left and you will easily complete your mail.
2] 2nd part of the exam is the aptitude part.
- TRY TO DO AT-LEAST 23 "CORRECT" SUMS!! You should be sure about them that you have done them right.
- DONT MARK ANY QUESTION OUT OF GUESS!! Every mark counts and these questions have negative marking. So don't.
The Important topics for aptitude are:
- HCF & LCM.
- Profit and Loss.
- Ratio and Proportion.
- Time and Distance.
- Problems on trains.
- Boats and Streams.
- Time and Work.
Then for the technical round, as I am from ECE background, I mentioned basics of C in my resume.
Practice these programs by heart:
- Swapping of two numbers with and without 3rd variable. (I was asked this question)
- The prime number (this was also asked).
- Fibonacci series.
- All types of sorting and searching.
- Palindrome with strings and number.
- GCD with and without recursion.
- Factorial with and without recursion.
- The reverse of a string or number.
For me and HR prepare these questions:
Int - Tell me about yourself.
Me - Name, Degree pursuing, School, Parents, Subjects, Projects, etc.
Int - You are from ECE then why do you want to join IT?
Me - ECE, CSE, IT are sister branches. We must be flexible.
Int - Why TCS?
Me - Reputed, good work, culture, etc.
Int - Tell something about TCS.
Me - Largest IT hub in India - across 125 nationalities - over 300000 professionals made to Forbes list for the 8th time.
Int - Your strength and weakness.
Strength: Commitment-oriented - team player - flexible - adaptability.
Weakness: Not comfortable, until I complete my work.
Int - Short term and long term goals.
Short: To crack this interview and serve an esteemed organisation like TCS.
Long to get into a more respectable position in the organisation.
Prepare each of these with at least one example.
I was asked these questions.
Finally on the 22nd march, I received my confirmation mail of getting selected!!
I hope my post will help you all a lot.
See you in TCS.:).